Scottish Castle Ghosts III
Ghost And Demons 1/22/12
By: Yona Williams
At one time, Bedlay Castle served as a defensive structure from the late 16th and 17th centuries. The castle is found in North Lanarkshire, where ghost tales of Bishop Cameron are told.
In 1350, there was something suspicious about the death of the Bishop, which has led to variations of his story. Early reports of ghost sightings emerged in 1880 and continued on into the 1970s. People were so sure that the castle was haunted that several exorcisms were performed on the premises, but have not been proven helpful.
Other reports of strange happenings at the castle include strange footfalls, a ghostly horse and carriage that are sometimes heard beside the home, repeated encounters with a black mass in the hallway, and the apparition of a large man with a beard. This ghost is believed to be Bishop Cameron.
Airth Castle overlooks the village of Airth and the River Forth in the Falkirk region of Scotland. Ever since 1971, the castle has been used as a hotel and country club surrounded by acres of woodland. One of the rooms on the premises is thought haunted by a 17th century housekeeper. The identity of the ghost is unknown, but legend has it that the servant ignored two children while they were in her care. Tragedy supposedly struck the family and the ghost is said the wander about the building in search of the children she neglected after they died in a fire.
The two children are also believed to haunt the castle as well. Some people have reported hearing the sounds of children at play in rooms 3, 9, and 23. Other strange happenings thought to happen on the premises includes the cries and screams (of a maid thought to be attacked by her master). In the hallways, a ghostly dog is believed to roam about Ã¢â‚¬â€œ biting the ankles of visitors.
Dating back to the 14th century (around 1300), Ethie Castle is found close to the fishing town of Arbroath in Angus, Scotland. Monks of the Arbroath Abbey are responsible for building the sandstone keep of the castle. Over the years, the ownership of the structure changed hands throughout the de Maxwell family to the last Cardinal of Scotland Ã¢â‚¬â€œ David Beaton. The Cardinal was killed in St. Andrews in 1546. Other owners of the castle includes the Carnegie family (purchased in 1665) and William Cunningham Hector.
As a close friend of William Carnegie (the 8th Earl of Northesk), Sir Walter Scott, who wrote The Antiquary, used the structure for the basis of his fictional work that centered on the Castle of Knockwhinnock. He frequently stayed at Ethie.
After undergoing restoration, the castle has since been converted into a hotel and is owned by de Morgan family. There is talk that the building is haunted by a Grey Lady specter, as well as David Beaton. Other reports associated with the castle include the sounds of phantom footsteps climbing a stair and noises of heavy dragging across a floor.