20 Facts about Noah (from the Ark) II
Religion Articles 3/30/12
By: Yona Williams
From facts regarding the ark to being the first wine drinker, stories and Bible passages regarding Noah are quite fascinating the study. In this article, you will learn more about his family, the ark, and various connections to a handful of belief systems.
8. When Noah was 500 years old, he had Japheth, Shem, and Ham.
9. There have been a handful of religions that related to the ark narrative, including adherents of Judaism, Islam, Christianity, and a few other faiths. Many different theories regarding the event, its meaning, and the practicality of the circumstances, has emerged in discussions, text and film. There have been plenty of theological debates and assessments of how passengers dealt with typical problems, such as waste removal.
10. Although there have been alleged sightings of Noah's ark over time, there has been no concrete evidence (in the physical sense) that shows the ark existed.
11. Noah has been given the title as the first wine drinker, and his connection to drinking alcohol in excess has been dismissed by many. He is described as the first person to discover the effects associated with drinking wine. One of the defenses used to describe Noah's behavior was that since he was the first human to taste wine, he was unaware of the effects that could follow. Ignorance and inexperience is to blame for his drunkenness.
12. The ark that Noah constructed measured 525 feet in length with a beam that measured 87.5 feet.
13. When Noah made the ark, he used what was called Gopher wood.
14. The ark was comprised of three floors that were filled with rooms.
15. When the world was flooded, it rained for 40 days and 40 nights.
16. A rainbow in the sky is used as a symbol to represent God's promise that He would never destroy all mankind with water again.
17. According to Jewish tradition, Satan is to blame with equipping the vine with the ability to intoxicate the blood of certain animals. Rabbis use this thought to refer to the way Noah behaved when he was in a drunken stupor.
18. In Islam, Noah is viewed as a rather significant figure and prophet. Because of this, the Qur'an contains 43 references to Noah throughout 28 chapters. The 71st chapter is actually named after Noah. In the narratives associated with Noah, the text concentrates on his preaching and the tale of the flood. His narrative is also used to introduce prophetic stories where the people are warned and disobey, which is then is met with a punishment.
19. The story of the ark and flood is symbolic for people following the Baha'I faith. The Baha'I believe that only the followers of Noah were spiritually alive and preserved in the ark through his teachings. Others were considered spiritually dead. In their scripture, it is stated that Noah had more people on the ark with him than just his wife, three sons, and their wives. They usually say he had 40 or 72 people on the ark.
20. According to Genesis 7:1-8:19, Noah was in the ark for approximately 1 year and 10 days.