During the late 19th and early 20th century, the population of England increased in such a way that new religious institutions were created. A trend emerged where regular churches were being transformed into cathedrals. Time and money grew short as the years lingered. People started to see less and less of the grand cathedrals that were commonplace during Norman times. This article focuses on the All Saints’ Church in Derby, which later became Derby Cathedral in 1927.
The All Saint’s Church was thought founded by King Edmund in 943 AD, but the original church underwent many different changes over the centuries. By the time the 18th century rolled around, one of the only features that set the church apart from other buildings was the tower. Standing 212 feet tall, it was known as the second highest parish church tower in England. This feature has a history that is traced back to the times of Henry VIII.
In 1723, the church was considered unsafe. At the time, no one wanted to claim responsibility for the church and it seemed as if the need for repairs would go unnoticed until a churchman named Revd Dr Michael Hutchinson put in an order for the entire structure to be demolished with the exception of the tower. The local people were not pleased with this decision. However, plans for the rebuilding of the church were already in the works. The new design was the work of James Gibbs, who had become quite famous for his many churches, which included St Mary-le-Strand and St Martin-in-the Fields, in London.
Designs for the new church were given the seal of approval and work on rebuilding the structure started with one of the most striking churches of today , the Derby Cathedral. Some of the features that have caught the eyes of onlookers include the memorial carvings, and attractive wrought iron screens.
You’re probably wondering what is so scary about a church that was given new life, but the premises have been reported to serve many wandering ghosts that have chosen to haunt the vicinity of the cathedral. One such ghost is that of Charles Edward Stuart, who was spotted by a woman who once lived in a building (now a shop) that was situated across the road. She reported to have seen a man dressed in Jacobite clothing who would stroll into the Cathedral.
Another ghostly tale associated with the cathedral was that of Bonnie Prince Charlie, who is believed to haunt the premises , appearing to be recounting his footsteps. A ghostly figure has also been seen wandering about the Silk Mill public house. Other restless soul connected to the church is a ‘white lady’ that has been sighted walking down the steps located at the back of the church. A young woman that appears to be crying along with a small boy is also some of the ghostly residents of the Cathedral.