With bustling crowds rushing in to shop til they drop, the Pike Place Market in Seattle, Washington is known for much more than a few impressive trinkets and other goods. Located at 85 Pike Street, Room 500, this market has quite a history , one that dates back to 1907.
Brief History of Pike Place Market
The Pike Place Market was the Seattle City Council’s answer to rumored price fixing in the city. Established along a boardwalk consisting of four blocks, the market took its name from Pike Place. Opening on August 17th, 1907, the neighborhood swelled with eager buyers, so much so that they cleaned the fresh food offered by the first 12 farmers within minutes. It didn’t take long for Frank Goodwin, who owned the Pike Place land, to construct the first building of the marketplace.
On November 30th, 1907, Goodwin opened the doors to his arcade. The following year saw the opening of the Outlook Hotel and the Triangle Market. The city soon saw an increasing demand for an extension in 1911. The first “Market Master” was hired , one who was in charge of running a daily lottery that assigned stalls to the farmers and vendors interested in selling their goods at the market. Soon, a collection of multi-level buildings was raised. The market continued to thrive, even surviving through the Great Depression, as they still offered the least expensive food in the area.
After the Depression passed, the market expanded further with hotels, restaurants and theaters. It wasn’t long before Seattle boasted the “Finest Public Market In The World.” Being situated in one of the most historic districts of Seattle meant that a lot of happenings have been attached to the landmark, which still serves that city with a variety of vendors and opportunities. The market is also linked to a great deal of strange occurrences, ghosts, and restless souls that refuse to leave the excitement of Pike Place.
Meet Princess Angeline
The market has seen a lot of coming and going, but one of the most well known visitors in history is that of Princess Angeline , the oldest daughter of Chief Seattle. Despite the 1855 Treaty of Point Elliott forcing all Duwamish Indians to depart their lands and move to reservations, Princess Angeline did not follow the order and instead, chose to live in the city. Residing in a cabin positioned on the waterfront, she lived between Pike and Pine Streets , right on Western Avenue. For many, she served as a gateway between the local Native American population and the new settlers of the city.
Princess Angeline cleaned laundry and sold hand-woven baskets on the downtown streets of Seattle in order to make a living. She was quite a sight to see and highly recognizable , bent over, wrinkled, and old. Often times, she was seen strolling down the street wrapped in a shawl around her shoulders and wearing a red handkerchief over her head. With cane in tow, she was a familiar face about the waterfront. When she was 85 years old, Angeline died on May 31, 1896 and the residents of Seattle paid homage to her by sending her off with an impressive funeral ceremony and burial.