Spirituality has become a fashion over time. I come across many rumors and myths about spirituality every day. People feign about spirituality by quoting verses that they read on some religious texts to put up a benign facade. They shade their true selves and some innocent people get conned. They do it to show their authority or try to achieve their ends.
People relate spirituality to religious symbolism. If the person wears a skull cap, has symbols painted on the forehead, wears typical colored clothing, that means he is a true guru. Isn’t it what most people think?
This is one of the biggest myths. A person wearing a black suit, working on wall street could be spiritually active. A primary school teacher, a homemaker, a high school girl, they all could be spiritually active.
Spirituality is not about what’s outside, but rather what’s inside.
Some people try to convey a fake message and convince you. If they are unable to do so, they confuse you.
Spirituality opens up your mind and heart rather than making it more complex.
There are many controversies, myths, and fake stories related to spirituality. Let’s look at each one of them and know the reality.
Conspiracies and myths about SpiritualityThe path of true spirituality only gives us hope and optimism. It gives us a sense of community with the meaning and purpose in life. Unlike fake spiritual practices, it never confuses you.
But there are thousands of definitions, paths, and practices out there. Which one to believe? This is probably the first question that enters your mind. Let us first look at some of the myths that can drift us from the true benefits of spirituality.
Myths about spirituality
- Spirituality will help you escape worldly responsibilities - Many people escape spirituality because they think it’s only possible if you leave your social life behind (which not everyone is willing to do). They have seen great saints like Buddha and Swami Vivekananda leaving their families to seek salvation.
It’s a choice, not a necessity. Spirituality will help you live your life fully and do 100% in whatever job you take up. It helps you maintain a perfect balance between your social and professional life.
- Spirituality can’t exist with material success - People who are driven highly by materialistic success think that spirituality will take them away from it. And spiritually insightful people tend to think that it will take them away from their family.
What we fail to remember is that all matter is manifested by spiritual energy itself.
Another thing that we all should understand is that spirituality helps you grow from the inside. And if that is true, a happy inside will automatically help you grow outside.
- There is a point where you get there, a pinnacle to reach - Spirituality is not a race to cross the finish line. There is no mountain top to reach. It’s a journey of constant change and growth. The more you learn, the more you will understand what you know and what you don’t know.
It’s an endless loop of learning and growing as long as you breathe.
- Spirituality can’t begin without a trip or pilgrimage - It’s not needed to embark on a spiritual trip to understand or begin your journey of spirituality. Many fake practitioners ask you to travel to different places ensuring that only that trip can awaken the sense of spirituality inside you. Spirituality is not an object found in rare places that amazon should add to its list!
- A specific way or some special rituals are needed - How many people have tons of you that you need to meditate and do special yoga to be spiritual? I bet the number is in the hundreds. Many might have told you that you need to read specific books or worship a special God or at a specific place. Fake gurus have been spotted to tell you that “special” place and many people end up being looted or trapped.
- You can achieve spirituality only if you follow a known guru - No! Not true. You can seek guidance from gurus and practitioners but it’s not an absolute need to have a guru to walk on the spiritual path.
- Being spiritual means being cultish - Cult practices follow a fixed path and are not open to questions and discussions. While spirituality has no such fixed beliefs and rituals. Spirituality is actually about asking questions and doesn’t have a single line of thought. Spirituality is about seeing through hoaxes.